Gaming Social Media

Lately I’ve been sensing this trend with Twitter, illustrated in the pie chart below. Yes, I’m being somewhat facetious in regards to the actual percentages; but as it is with all good things, even Twitter is not impervious to those who feel that rather than trying to engage in meaningful conversations, and create valued relationships, they would prefer to cut to the chase and try and sell you something. I could give you 5 sites that are gaming twitter but why give them props?  Does this sound familiar? Following-880, Followers- 7 Tweets-1

gaming-sm1

8 Responses to “Gaming Social Media”

1. 1 Angela Connor February 26, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Wow. Really? But you have a great network on twitter. Are you indicating that perhaps much of even your own network is gaming? Do tell. And to what extent are they gaming? Maybe we’re all gaming in some way or another.

2. 2 marc meyer February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Hi Angela, I had to clarify. Whats happening is as my network grows so does the bandwidth of spammers/gamers.Here is a great example of that: Tweetergetter.com

3. 3 Angela Connor February 27, 2009 at 1:48 am

OMG, Marc. I checked out the site. Sounds a lot like MLM. Move over Amway, now there’s Tweetgetter. How lame, and Unauthentic. Geez.

4. 4 itrackmine February 27, 2009 at 1:49 am

It’s unfortunate that this is often the way these trends seem to play out in the Internets short history. Opportunists smell blood and come running. I remember a piece of software mentioned within the blogosphere recently — created specifically to “game” Twitter. I’m sure there are others.

However, I know a lot of people on our site using it to keep their friends updated…so there ARE good, honest people using it for good reason.

5. 5 marc meyer February 27, 2009 at 2:20 am

Seriously. It’s very MLM’ish! except now your following and being followed by utter strangers

6. 6 fmdays February 27, 2009 at 4:31 am

The thing is that unlike spam email where they send millions of unwanted emails, these people follow about 1,000 people. If you are looking for raw impressions and promotional value, then twitter isn’t the place to go. I wonder if eventually the scammers and get rich quick types will figure this out and go away.

7. 7 Ike Pigott February 27, 2009 at 4:27 pm

It’s a great way of randomly claiming a slice of the public stream as your own.

8. 8 Karl Foxley March 1, 2009 at 1:33 am

I’ve noticed a new trend in regards to my own Twitter account. I regularly have about 10 variants of the same (often well known marketer’s) name start following me. When you click on their pages a few days later they are normally all removed. Just seems like a massive waste of time and a short-cut to no-where. Why trade of someone else’s name when the long lasting effects of building up your own reputation is much more rewarding in the long run.

Thanks for posting.