The difference between Facebook and Twitter

I just read a blog post about Twitter Surpassing Facebook as the top link in E-mail marketing campaigns and that got me wondering why. But if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. If I’m a marketer or large company and I know that my intrusive and possibly NOT opt-in, much less  double opt-in email is not being read; and I want the recipient to grab something-what is easier? What social link might they click on?

Twitter

snack

Or Facebook?

thanksgivingmeal

Both ultimately satisfy and both are going to give the reader of the email the info they are hoping for. Information about you and your company. But the difference is Twitter is a snapshot about culture, beliefs, thoughts and opinions. While Facebook is a movie. Facebook is what happens after we have talked on the phone and have decided to meet.

For the  email marketer, you have only a certain amount of time to get the attention of your prospect. What can they hit quicker? Twitter or Facebook? What will give them the quickest return? Will it give you a higher conversion rate? Hard to say. But at least it gives you the chance to pitch one more time. And hopefully your Twit stream is a bit more robust and useful than what some marketers seem to think Twitter is best used for. Take more time to develop out a solid Twitter presence. Don’t ignore Facebook but understand the difference between the two as marketing vehicles.

8 Responses to “The difference between Facebook and Twitter”

1. 1 Christian July 31, 2009 at 6:13 pm

I consistently get more traffic from Twitter…retweets is the reason. I’ve found Twitter is more about quantity, but facebook is more about quality. I have fewer people on Facebook but the contacts are more engaged and interactive. I have a lot of great conversations on Twitter, but they eventually move off Twitter out of necessity. Twitter is a great place to get things started, but it surely shouldn’t be the only piece of your marketing plan.

2. 2 Tyler Hurst August 2, 2009 at 12:27 am

The tools we use are far less important than what we do with them.

3. 3 marc meyer August 3, 2009 at 11:48 am

@Tyler, I would say yes and no. If you don’t have the tool then what do you do? If you don’t have a hammer and use a brick instead. Wouldn’t a hammer be more efficient?

4. 4 marc meyer August 3, 2009 at 11:49 am

@Christian, I’d agree that most shouldn’t focus solely on Twitter but lets not forget to look at business challenge first and then go from there. Might not be a fit for either!

5. 5 Sarah Edwards August 10, 2009 at 8:32 am

Great post, I agree that the best way to social media market is to use both facebook and twitter, what is important to use them differently for the purposes they are most useful for. Twitter is good for snappy messages that hit on a direct point and grab immediate attention, where facebook helps more for a deeper dialogue, through messages and regular wall updates.

6. 6 orlando jackson March 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I personally Do Not believe in what was offered. Each electronic communication center is ok, but when & if I need to say something, I will email you.

1. 1 The difference between Facebook and Twitter « Direct Marketing … – The Facebook News Trackback on August 1, 2009 at 12:57 am
  2. 2 How To Attract Repeat Visitors | Photos Of Food Trackback on September 10, 2009 at 10:20 am

July 2009