Humility tends to be in short suppply these days. I suppose after reading and writing about the importance of relationships, ego traps and hero worshipping yesterday that I might have at least learned something or had taken my own advice to heart. Something. Anything. It’s as if I just tuned out.
Yep, in the course of ohhh say 24 hours, I have been knocked down to size and humbled by one client. I was told I was not assertive enough by another would be client that I had been working with, who in hind sight wanted me to be more agressive and forcefull. And lastly, I had another potential client essentially tell me to give them what they had asked for and not what I suggested they need. All in less than 24 hours!
Hell, I even wrote a blog post titled, “Serve me what I want, not what you think I need”. Talk about doubting yourself! What has this taught me? Alot. Below are 10 points with associated posts that I need to always keep in mind and maybe you should too!
- The client will always be right. Always. Even if they’re not.
- You might be right, but the client doesn’t know you well enough to give you the business.
- You have to build trust incrementally.
- Assume nothing.
- Sometimes you just need to shut up.
- You are not as good as you think you are.
- There will always be someone who can do it better.
- Never underestimate the client.
- Always temper your actions with humility.
- Don’t forget where you came from.