The Relevance of my Online Relationships has Risen.

Game changer alert! It’s not what Google knows anymore. It’s now going to be about who you know, who you are connected to, and how connected you are that will affect the results of your searches. Let that sink in for a second. The time has come where social and search are no longer sharing the same clothes. No, they are now joined at the hip sharing the same clothes!

Read this snippet below from Google’s blog post about social search

Is this is a good thing? I think so, there is definite relevance to our existing relationships when doing business. Case in point, I use my Twitter followers and also the people I follow on Twitter as a de facto RSS feed for information about the work I do and the research I need to do my job. So tying that information literally into a search feed, is essentially the same thing.

What this will get people to do possibly, is change the nature of the online relationships they have, they make, and that they curate. It may in fact increase the value of content created and networks joined, as well as the volume and frequency of participation. So this begs the question, Will this increase the noise or the signal?

Here’s some more info about it.

6 Responses to “The Relevance of my Online Relationships has Risen.”

1. 1 Gabriele Maidecchi February 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I think I am kind of old-school, but I like to keep the two kind of search separate. I am not saying it won’t be a good idea in the long run, but I prefer to keep search and social two separate entities for the time being. It really depends on how you use both of them of course, and I am sure I am an exception out there.

2. 2 marc meyer February 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm

@Gabriele, pretty soon, you won’t be able to.

3. 3 Mark Harai February 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm

This is pretty interesting Mark… I would think that it will benefit those folks who have invested time and effort into building a credible social media footprint and are engaged and contributing to the conversations taking place on the social web.

4. 4 Coby Regehr March 1, 2011 at 3:46 am

Everyone forgets this is all virtual, what might be correct today among all of the Attention Deficit Disorder generation, meaning those that need instant gratification from an electronic device will eventually be irrevelant.
    Who you know and who you connect with is definitely relevant, however, relationships are still formed across the table with a dinner and a glass of wine and maybe a round of golf.
    Go ahead and say old school but those of us doing business everyday and writing multi-million dollar contracts still form relationships face-to-face. In fact take it a step further, we form friendships that last over the years.
    You have valid points but lets not totally forget the human factor.
    Best to you. Hope you are well.
    Coby

5. 5 Barry Sausse March 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm

The internet is just an extension of the ‘face-to-face’ community that it came out of. Thus, it makes sense that eventually more emphasis would be placed on ‘who you know’ rather than ‘what you know’ … just like in the real world.

6. 6 marc meyer March 9, 2011 at 6:12 pm

@Coby, you’re so old school you probably knew my father, oh wait…you did. Never mind…:)

February 2011