On Twitter do you reap what you sow?

reap

It’s as simple as this.

Your deeds or actions on Twitter, good or bad, will repay you in kind.

The words “What you do comes back to you” are an excellent paraphrase of what generally occurs or can occur on Twitter. “You reap what you sow.” You plant spam, then later you gather the resulting harvest of backlash, useless followers, and nothing to show for your worthless attempt at gaming the system.

The harvest that you reap depends on the kind of seeds you sow. If you sow nothing but broadcast, push style Tweets,  you cannot expect to reap anything of consequential value from that.

I think you know the answer.

9 Responses to “On Twitter do you reap what you sow?”

1. 1 Ricardo Bueno October 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Re: “If you retweet value, if you engage in some type of dialogue and help others, promote and encourage others efforts, then what can you expect? Value begets value.”

I’m in complete agreement with you here!

2. 2 Ari Herzog October 6, 2009 at 7:02 am

I disagree — and I cite @BarackObama’s tweeting style leading up to his election last year. No different than @CNN, another pusher of broadcast messages. But both were/are heavily followed and retweeted.

Obama wasn’t social on Twitter, but he did use the tool. And when he stopped after Election Day, his followers BEGGED for a return.

3. 3 marc meyer October 6, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Ari, CNN and Obama could tweet that they just burped and they would get followers… apples and oranges..

4. 4 marc meyer October 6, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Ricardo. appreciate it.

5. 5 Ari Herzog October 6, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I agree with you in principle, Marc, but in reality, when you consider CNN and Ashton Kutcher duked it out for most followers in a given time period, people care about their burps.

6. 6 marc meyer October 6, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I’ll give you that, though thats the exception and not the rule.

1. 1 Making Real Connections | BuzzBuilderz Trackback on October 6, 2009 at 4:13 pm
  2. 2 Social Web Learning » Seth Godin on social networking Trackback on October 7, 2009 at 11:29 pm
  3. 3 you reap what you sow meaning | idioMeanings.com Trackback on October 22, 2009 at 12:34 pm

October 2009