I dropped my Treo the other day, cracked the screen, and someone called me immediately after. I couldn’t hear them or see who the caller was. At that moment a couple of things flashed through my mind:
1. Oh Shit. I’m screwed. I’m totally screwed.
2. Sweet I get to get a new phone, what should I get? The iphone is cool.
3. What if I lose all of my contacts? I’m screwed some more.
4. I really don’t feel like forking over 3 hunge even if they give me a $200 rebate, it’s all bullshit anyway.
5. What If I get the call and I can’t talk??? That’s so professional. Hello? Hello? I said hello!
6. Maybe if I just take the battery out and blow on it, It’ll be cool.
7. If they can’t fix it, I’ll just get a free flip phone. I’ll simplify my life.
8. What do I really need in a phone anyways, I just need to talk right? Besides, email and web access are so overrated.
9. Blackberry’s are cool
10. I am so dreading going in the phone store. It’s like being in a freightcar of techno idiots.
Well, ultimately I did have to go in and the tech took my phone away. I was hoping they would just give me a new one, no questions asked. He even said, “let me see if we have a replacement”. Nope, he comes back 10 minutes later and says, “Good news, our tech guy was able to fix it, It’s not perfect but we saved you some money.”
I was pissed. I wanted a new phone. Even a new old one would have been cool, now I just have an old, new one. It looks like it’s been gnawed on by my neighbors dog. I admit, the emotions are raw. All of those thoughts and yet in the end, I’m still stuck with this cruddy piece o’ crap Treo. I’m complaining because my Treo seems so “old and antiquated”. I loved it once, now it’s like a set of worn out tires. They work, but they look like hell.
What has all of that flashy marketing done to me? What has marketing done to all of us? It’s a phone. How do you feel or how would you feel should something happen to your phone?