17 social media influencers and thought shapers

Butch Cassidy: “I couldn’t do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?”

I promised that I would follow up the top 30 social media experts post I did with a few more people who’s work I admire, who’s thinking is forward, and who’s ideas of what culture and technology should be, are wide open.  You have no idea how many bookmarks and sites I have saved that I try to read and digest and actually think about. No wonder my eyes are always bleeding on the way home from work? Easy..I’m kidding..

It’s these types of people that will provide the basis of how we will view our interactions in a technological environment as we go forward. If you are unfamiliar with some of these people, that’s ok. Pretty soon you won’t be. Of these 17, feel free to offer up your peers for review. We currently have a listing of 51 social media experts, luminaries and standouts! I’d love to add more and I know they’re out there. Beware though, if you email or tweet that you’re an expert, then you’re not.

Todd Defren

Pete Blackshaw

Kris Smith

Kami Watson Huyse

Joseph Thornley

Clay Shirkey

Stowe Boyd

I would suggest setting aside some time to really go through the list, as there is quite a bit to digest here, but it’s all good and so so very relevant today!

About these ads

20 Responses to “17 social media influencers and thought shapers”

1. 1 RichardatDELL June 18, 2008 at 12:21 am

Hi Marc

Thank you so much for the inclusion as a social media influencer and thought shaper. I am especially honored to be included given the c ompany I get keep. The folks on your list are top notch. Thornley was one of the first people I met in social media…through a blog comment. He and others on this list have taught me much.

I must say http://richardatDELL.blogspot.com does not get the attention it deserves or I would like to give it, as my first priority is always listening, learning and engaging with Dell customers and others who care enough about our company to talk about us online. So, if Richardatdell’s blog is worth reading when it does “occassionally” publish, it is really all about others in social media who have taught me much and our customers/others who inform my perspective.

Thanks to you and them

2. 2 Todd Defren June 18, 2008 at 1:20 am

Thanks! I am honored to be part of this crowd.

You ought to also take a look at Jason Falls of Social Media Explorer, at the very least.

3. 3 Sam Lawrence June 18, 2008 at 1:28 am

Sheesh. Thanks for including me. Between this list and your blogroll you have a great index built up.

Cheers, mate!
    Sam

4. 4 John Cass June 18, 2008 at 1:40 am

thanks so much for the mention, honored to be in such company. Except for Richard of course. ;-)

5. 5 emersondirect June 18, 2008 at 1:07 pm

@Richard, I couldn’t agree with you more, it’s the conversations; and I know that word might be getting a little frayed around the edges, but it’s true, it’s the conversations that I’m privy to here that make learning such a cool thing. I enjoy you and your peers immensely! Thank you so much.

6. 6 emersondirect June 18, 2008 at 1:09 pm

@Todd, I told you I would get back to you! Thanks for the hook up on Jason as well!

-Marc

7. 7 emersondirect June 18, 2008 at 1:10 pm

@Sam Thank you, it’s a work in progress, as is the space that we’re hurdling though right now as “thought participants”. Mind if I use that as a later post?

-Marc

8. 8 emersondirect June 18, 2008 at 1:11 pm

@John, Richard notwithstanding, congrats on your new gig at Forrester as well!

-Marc

9. 9 Joseph Thornley June 18, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Hi Marc,

Thanks so much for reading my blog and including me on your list. The real payback for the time we invest in our blogs is to learn that someone else has read what we’ve written and found it useful.

Now I’ve discovered your blog and subscribed. So, I’m looking forward to reading it and learning from your perspective on things.

10. 10 emersondirect June 18, 2008 at 1:36 pm

@Joseph, thankyou for the kind words. I agree the payback, for me occurs everyday when I’m provoked by our thought leaders to think about this multi-faceted object that we call social media, in ways that I never dreamed about. It’s Something new everyday, and for that I credit you and your peers.

-Marc

11. 11 Chris Heuer June 18, 2008 at 1:43 pm

It’s always nice to be in such great company! Thanks for the kind words and for being a part of carrying forward all the important ideas and insights from all these great people. Link love is the ultimate form of currency in our newly social world :)

12. 12 David Alston June 18, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Wow, thanks for including me on the list. I’m am very honored to be considered.

David

13. 13 emersondirect June 18, 2008 at 1:50 pm

@Chris, It’s exciting. For the tech/marketing/PR community, it has been a long time since we have had something like social media to reenergize a sometimes stale/status quo, go with the flo sector. Link love is a good thing, I’m paying it forward!

-Marc

14. 14 emersondirect June 18, 2008 at 1:51 pm

@David You’re quite welcome, I am looking forward to the Twebinar as well, it should be interesting as well as gratifying. Plenty to learn, more to share, and lots to give.

-Marc

15. 15 Kami Huyse June 18, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Wow, I was a little shocked to see myself among this company. There are a few others that I would recommend, Ike Pigott and Geoff Livingston are two that I learn from regularly.

16. 16 RichardatDELL June 19, 2008 at 12:26 am

Hi Marc,

Can you believe what happens to nice people when they join BIG analysts firms? They disown the little people they helped bring along :-). John, Congratulations on the new gig. You are the best

17. 17 John Cass June 19, 2008 at 1:35 am

Thanks Marc, much appreciated.

And thanks Richard, I think you and the Dell example are one of the people and companies that helped me get the job because of all I’ve learned from you and the company. So I’m very appreciative. However, as you say, there’s always the danger of too much brand going to your head. :-)

18. 18 Kris Smith June 20, 2008 at 1:35 am

Hey Marc, thank you for the nod! Keeping good company on that list I see, an honor. Cheers, Kris.

19. 19 David Parmet June 21, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Thanks so much for putting my name up there with such rock stars!

1. 1 Can Twitter and Plurk co-exist? « Emerson Direct Marketing Observations Trackback on June 19, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Give Food

June 2008
« May   Jul »
16171819202122

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.