30 Top Social Media Experts, Pundits, Evangelists and Marketers

If I spent all my time reading their blogs, there would not be enough time to do anything else. So I want to ask everyone out there,  Who else should be on the list?. By compiling the list, maybe it will help others narrow down the search, increase the conversation, hone in on what they are interested in and reduce the amount of time it takes to read their prose.

This is by no means an exact list but it’s certainly a WIP. I need everyone’s help in compiling this though!

There is no order. <—–truer words have never been spoken?

Christopher Carfi

Ben McConnell

Valeria Maltoni

David Armano

* Seth Godin

*Jason Breed

About these ads

46 Responses to “30 Top Social Media Experts, Pundits, Evangelists and Marketers”

1. 1 B.L Ochman May 21, 2008 at 8:22 pm

I am honored to be in such esteemed company. Thank you so much for including me, and bringing your blog to my sights.

2. 2 emersondirect May 21, 2008 at 8:29 pm

BL, to be honest, I’m honored that I get to read, understand, share, and repeat 25% of the collective brain power of this group. I am by no means close to being an expert, but I do feel that I can spread the knowledge that you and your peers so generously share to others who have absolutely no clue as to what we are in the midst of. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

3. 3 chrisbrogan May 21, 2008 at 11:40 pm

I love lists. I really do. On one side, I get to see people that I admire put up there near me. But in the best of cases, I find someone that you’ve “discovered,” and get to add them to the mix.

Thank you!

4. 4 Valeria Maltoni May 22, 2008 at 1:09 am

Thank you for the mention and inclusion, Marc. I like how you highlighted both Jackie Huba and Ben McConnell – they each bring something distinct to the conversation. Same for Charlene and Josh. I am reading Groundswell right now and have already sent a copy to a colleague.

5. 5 emersondirect May 22, 2008 at 1:51 pm

@Chris, I have a distinct feeling that it really is only the tip of the iceberg, but I rely on lists like these to help me. So my hope would be that someone could turn me on to even others. Though trying to stay in the loop with just 30 can be tough. But thank you for taking the time to check out the list. I’m glad you benefited. Is there anyone I should add?

6. 6 emersondirect May 22, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Valeria, I’m staring at the book as we speak and am plowing through Scoble’s Naked Conversations, yes it’s dated to a small degree but it’s really neat to compare notes and appreciate that i’m right where I need to be…for now…today at least!

7. 7 Phil Gomes May 22, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Um… Wow… Neat! What a nice surprise!

*blushes*

8. 8 Toby May 23, 2008 at 2:06 am

Marc –
    I sound like an echo in the great halls of social media .. but I’m honored to be include with so many folks that I admire and respect. Thank for taking the time to research and put this list together.

9. 9 Mitch Joel - Twist Image May 24, 2008 at 1:03 pm

many thanks – this was very kind of you.

I’ll do what I can to live up to it!

10. 10 Michael Goldstein May 31, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Nice list! Perhaps you’ll include me when you next update it ;)

11. 11 Heidi Richards Mooney June 1, 2008 at 11:07 pm

I read about this list on Toby Bloomberg’s Blog and am thrilled to see her listed! Thanks for also turning us on to other Social Medial Experts – I am off to check them out!

Heidi Richards Mooney, Founder
    Women’s eCommerce Association

12. 12 Paul Chaney June 3, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I think you certainly nailed it in creating this A-list of social media experts and I do echo your sentiment that this is the tip of the iceberg.

While I know several of these personally, you introduced me to some whose names I did not recognize. Thanks.

13. 13 david cushman June 12, 2008 at 2:59 pm

You might like the Rockstars of web2.0 list we’re compiling.

you’ll find it on my blog http://fasterfuture.blogspot.com

contributions welcome!

14. 14 Ryan Kuder June 12, 2008 at 3:04 pm

I was robbed. Again.

But on a serious note, the thing that I love about lists is that it provides a starting point to dig deeper on a topic. I don’t read everyone on this list currently, but I know they all are on a topic I’m interested in and give me a few directions to go next. Thanks.

15. 15 emersondirect June 12, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I think collectively they could come up with another list. We’ll come up with a new one in the fall I think. Thanks for joing the conversation Ryan, sorry about the Yahoo thing, but as one door closes, another opens.

16. 16 emersondirect June 12, 2008 at 3:35 pm

@David, that’s an interesting list. It’s going to get pretty big pretty quick. Your blog has a lot in it. I’ll be sure to check back from time to time-

17. 17 Lyndsey Forster June 12, 2008 at 4:14 pm

As the person in charge of unrolling a social media campaign at my job, I am comforted that I knew of most the people listed. This just gives me a springboard to look into those that are soon to be familiar. Thanks for the help!

18. 18 emersondirect June 12, 2008 at 4:32 pm

@Lyndsey, it is by no means a complete list. I as well am an admirer and was merely giving back to them for providing me and others with the tools and the thoughts that make it easier for me to communicate and understand and build the momentum that is social media and all its elements.

Good luck with your endeavor, if I cane ever help or be of assistance, let me know.

Marc

19. 19 Kami Huyse August 6, 2008 at 11:09 am

I just read about your list on Toby’s blog as I did some research for an upcoming post about Blogger Relations. I was glad to find your blog and of course think you have many of the “players” on the list. I would add Geoff Livingston and Shel Holtz to the list.

20. 20 emersondirect August 6, 2008 at 6:02 pm

@Kami, I added Geoff to another and am not sure if I added Shel if not, though you’re right, I would be remiss if I did not add him. Thanks for stopping by.

Marc

21. 21 Elliott Burton March 13, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I would add Mr. Pete Beckett to the list, Director of The Social Media Forum.

22. 22 Anna Schmidt March 21, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I hired Cole Imperi several months ago to speak at a large company with over 15,000 employees. I had also hired at one point or another 3 of the people you listed above to speak at various company events as well. Cole was by far the best.

23. 23 Sven Jorberg May 10, 2009 at 7:00 am

What about Joel Comm? the guy wrote the book on Twitter I just finished reading. Twitter Power. It’s very good and I have been following his work for some time.

Excellent list!

24. 24 Carina Black June 8, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Nice list – just found this from a Google Alert, funnily enough :)

I see it was written last year – maybe time for a refresher course?

I’d love to see these people on there:

Danny Brown – http://dannybrown.me

Ari Herzog – http://ariwriter.com

John Haydon – http://corporatedollar.org

Adam Singer – http://thefuturebuzz.com

Thanks!

25. 25 Fernando Rodriguez September 22, 2009 at 9:02 am

Here a few guys that I think have “the real thing”

– Bernie Borges from findandconvert.com
    – Dr. Rachna Jain, Chief Social Marketer at MindshareCorp.com, and lead developer of The Mindshare Method (sm), a social media based lead generation and profit strategy.

Explore their social media places such as their podcasts and blogs and you will see!

I hope to be able to contribute with value assets to this emerging new wave named social media network.

Best regards.

26. 26 Sara November 19, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Just found this list and it’s super helpful for researching what the pros are doing. Have bookmarked and will reference! Thanks for putting in the work.

27. 27 shreyam January 30, 2010 at 7:05 am

its a good info about social media.

28. 28 Ruben Licera April 15, 2011 at 12:23 am

This is a brilliant list – I find the pretender the most irritating. I think most people are used to using social channels now but it doesn’t mean they know how to use them in a strategic context. Creating a simple blog, Twitter or Facebook page isn’t hard – it’s really simple. However, creating a community where the readers, fans and followers engage with each other more than the brand itself is what people should really be looking for. Social media is social our job is to keep it that way.

1. 1 4 More Social Media Luminaries « Emerson Direct Marketing Observations Trackback on May 23, 2008 at 8:13 pm
  2. 2 Listening and social media: 5 videos that drive the point home « Emerson Direct Marketing Observations Trackback on June 16, 2008 at 3:04 pm
  3. 3 17 social media influencers and thought shapers « Emerson Direct Marketing Observations Trackback on June 17, 2008 at 8:46 pm
  4. 4 Can Twitter and Plurk co-exist? « Emerson Direct Marketing Observations Trackback on June 19, 2008 at 10:01 pm
  5. 5 Searching for social media experts « Emerson Direct Marketing Observations Trackback on July 15, 2008 at 2:21 pm
  6. 6 Blogging-Social Media Blog » All Social Media Expert are Tiger Woods?? Trackback on October 21, 2008 at 2:03 pm
  7. 7 marketing publicity Trackback on October 21, 2008 at 5:22 pm
  8. 8 Top 50 Influential and Powerful Women in Social Media Trackback on October 29, 2008 at 10:47 pm
  9. 9 Social Media First Step Trackback on December 15, 2008 at 8:11 pm
  10. 10 Twittiquitte: Social Citizenship For The Businessman - Life of a Web Programmer Trackback on April 15, 2009 at 12:01 am
  11. 11 What Makes a Social Media Professional a Professional | ShawnVanDyke.com Trackback on June 3, 2009 at 7:52 pm
  12. 12 WandaLUST » Blog Archive » Top 30 social media experts — link Trackback on July 6, 2009 at 4:46 am
  13. 13 7 Reasons to “Favorite” a Tweet: Marketing and Twitter Trackback on April 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm
  14. 14 Public Square: A Lesson in Social Media | Bicoastal City Trackback on November 10, 2010 at 12:15 am
  15. 15 My Passion: Social Media Marketing « Laura Diaz Trackback on April 29, 2011 at 8:47 pm
  16. 16 The Social Media Time Suck | Apple Box Blog Trackback on June 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm
  17. 17 Social media: how do YOU gauge success? | Tuvel Communications Blog Trackback on June 15, 2011 at 8:42 pm
  18. 18 We all need another set of eyes « Direct Marketing Observations Trackback on November 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Give Food

May 2008
« Apr   Jun »
19202122232425

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.